Margaret River Press is an independent press that has a Perth office based at the Centre for Stories located at 100 Aberdeen Street, Northbridge. We have a strong commitment to nurturing and supporting writers at all stages of their career by featuring them in our annual short story anthology and publishing debut novels after a rigorous, consultative editorial process.
We publish high-end literary fiction, crime, and some of the best short stories currently being written in Australia and beautifully designed leisure and lifestyle titles.
ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
Margaret River Press is introducing an internship program to allow current university students and recent graduates the opportunity to experience working for a small independent publisher.
We welcome interns with a background and/or interest in the following areas: media and communications, public relations, writing and publishing.
Our interns will enjoy real involvement with the daily operations of a small publishing company and will work closely with the Publishing Director. During the internship, the scope of tasks and responsibilities may involve, but is not restricted to, the following:
- Assisting with the management of the website and social media accounts i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Marketing and publicity for books and author events
- Keeping minutes and attending meetings with partner organisations and external stakeholders
- General administrative tasks such as assisting with funding applications, organising review copies of new titles, data entry, etc.
- Assisting the Publishing Director with any other tasks that may arise
At the completion of the program, interns will gain a deeper understanding of their discipline within the context of a small independent publishing company.
The duration of the internship is negotiable but interns will ideally be able to commit to at least 2 days a week in the Margaret River Press office in Northbridge.
Please note that this is an unpaid internship but interns will receive a formal reference upon the completion of the program and university internship subject requirements will be signed off if applicable. There may also be opportunities to attend various industry events during the internship.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Successful applicants must:
- Be a current university student or recent graduate of a media and communications, public relations, writing, publishing or other relevant degree
- Possess strong communication skills
- Be organised, with an ability to prioritise time-sensitive assignments
- Be familiar and confident with using various social media mediums
- Have an interest in learning more about the publishing industry
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying for an internship with Margaret River Press, please send through your resume along with a brief cover letter introducing yourself and why you are interested in this opportunity. Please also include your availability for the internship.
- CONTACT NAME – Caroline Wood
- CONTACT EMAIL – firstname.lastname@example.org