Margaret River Press is currently seeking engaging, innovative, and well-written literary fiction manuscripts for potential publication.
Margaret River Press is an indepdendent, innovative Western Australian publisher. We welcome submissions from emerging and established writers of literary fiction and creative non-fiction, and we accept short story collections by a single author. From time to time we may call for submissions for themed anthologies of poetry and short fiction.
We do not publish works for young adults, graphic novels, romance or science fiction, and are not currently accepting unsolicited poetry collections.
Please ensure you follow the guidelines set out below.
- All submissions should be sent electronically as a Word document.
- Please send three of your best and most polished chapters. We prefer sequential chapters. We request that you keep the word count of these chapters to no more than 10,000 words. If we are interested in reading more, we will let you know once we've read the sample.
- We accept only unpublished work from the creator of the work.
- Submissions should be presented in 12 point font, with double line spacing, a header with the title, name of author and footer with page numbers. Left and right hand margins at 3.5 cm. Please ensure that titles, headings and textual breaks are clearly marked.
- Please include a cover page with the title of the manuscript, author's name and contact details.
- All submissions must include a short biography (100-150 words), a one page submission report that includes a synopsis (1 page maximum), total word count of manuscript, genre and major themes of the manuscript, target readership and a statement that tells us why you think your submission is worth publishing.
- Please note that due to the number of submissions, we are unable to provide critical feedback on your manuscripts.
- If you are unable to submit your manuscript online then please email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note: when we receive your manuscript, you will be automatically added to our newsletter subscriber list. If you don’t wish to be a subscriber, please state that clearly on your submission
If you adhere to the guidelines, we will acknowledge receipt of your manuscript by email within a month, and we aim to assess and reply to all submissions within four months. If you have not heard from us after four months, by all means get in touch with a polite query letter and we'll happily chase it up for you.
We also accept simultaneous submissions. Should your work be accepted elsewhere during the submissions process, please let us know and we'll withdraw your submission.
Things to Bear in Mind
At Margaret River Press, we are looking for quality literary fiction, crime fiction, and original, evocative non-fiction titles. We rarely accept memoirs, and do not publish genre fiction outside of crime. Given we're a small team, and only publish a small percentage of those manuscripts submitted, it's all the more important that you ensure the work that you send is of the highest possible standard, having sought prior editorial assistance if appropriate.
Please take a look at our titles and become familiar with the type of work we publish, this will assist you in deciding on whether we are the best publisher for your work.